Chickpeas are versatile legumes with a mild, nutty taste, and chickpea flour is typically made from a variety called Bengal grams. Chickpea flour can be used in several ways:
- as a replacement for wheat flour in baking
- combined with wheat flour to improve the healthfulness of your baked goods
- as a natural thickener in soups and curries
- to make traditional Indian dishes, such as pakora (vegetable fritters) or laddu (small dessert pastries)
- to make pancakes or crepes
- as a light and airy breading for fried foods
Chickpea flour has the following benefits:
- Rich in vitamins and minerals including including iron, magnesium, phosphorus, copper, and manganese.
- One cup (92 grams) of chickpea flour packs slightly more folate than you need in a day. This vitamin plays an important role in preventing spinal cord defects during pregnancy
- Chickpeas contain beneficial antioxidants called polyphenols. Plant polyphenols specifically have been shown to decrease free radicals in food and reverse some of the damage they can cause in your body
- Chickpea flour is a great alternative to wheat flour if you’re trying to reduce your calorie intake – 25% fewer calories than white flour, making it less energy dense
- Chickpea flour has about half the carbs of white flour and thus may affect blood sugar differently. White flour has a GI of about 70. Chickpeas have a GI of 6, and snacks made from chickpea flour are thought to have a GI of 28–35. They’re low-GI foods that would have a more gradual effect on blood sugar than white flour.
- Chickpea flour is high in fiber, which may help improve blood fat levels. It also contains a type of fiber called resistant starch, which has been linked to several health benefit
- Chickpeas are an excellent protein source for vegetarians and vegans, as they contain 8 of the 9 essential amino acids, the structural components of protein that must come from your diet.
- It doesn’t contain wheat, so it’s appropriate for people with celiac disease, gluten intolerance, or wheat allergy
Ingredients: 100% Gluten Free Chickpea Flour* grown biodynamically in Athi River
Shelf life: 6 months at room temperature; If stored in the fridge +3 more months and if stored in freezer +5 more months (in an airtight container)
Onja Foods is a gluten-free solutions product & service provider. We are an agri-processing food company looking to promote healthy-living, food security, and empower farmers. Our products and solutions are fit for anyone and everyone.