Gluten powder (also known as vital wheat gluten or wheat gluten) is a versatile baking ingredient, which is made from almost pure gluten. Although gluten flour is not technically a flour, it is made from wheat flour which is hydrated to activate the gluten and then processed to remove everything but the gluten. As vital wheat gluten is so high is gluten, it is added to baking recipes to improve elasticity of the dough and aids the rising process. It is often recommended that gluten powder is added with low protein flours, like wheat or rye which do not produce much gluten. It can also be added to recipes where there is a lot of added extra like seeds, nuts and dried fruits.
- Gluten powder is a versatile baking ingredient for making bread, cakes, tarts, pastries and desserts of all kinds
- A natural and very effective raising agent, helping your bread fill out perfectly and evenly. Especially useful for baking with whole wheat grains and ‘alternative’ flours where a strong structure is needed
- Specially milled wheat flour which is high in gluten and low in starch
- Flour is used in combination with other flours in speciality breads
- Concentrated wheat protein that possesses a special visco-elastic property
- Used to make a vegetarian and vegan meat substitute known as seitan
Ingredients: Vital Wheat GLUTEN
Bread Usage: To help bread to rise and improve texture and elasticity add 1 tablespoon per cup of flour in recipes. Vegan Mock Meats: To make seitan, mix the gluten flour (1 cup) with your favorite dry herbs/seasonings + cold water (3/4 cup), knead well then cut the dough into slices and boil in your favourite broth for approx. one hour.
Suma is the largest equal pay worker co-op in Europe. We are a co-operative of ordinary people built on integrity and equality, we’re a worker co-op, a business owned and run by the nearly 200 people who work here. We don’t have any bosses or shareholders. We, Suma’s employees, set the direction of the business. Everyone has an equal say in what we do. We all get paid the same wage, take responsibility and each do a range of jobs each week, from truck driving to cooking to accounts. All our products are non-GMO, Fairtrade, Parabens, triclosan or phthalates-free, products, cruelty-free, organic and ethically sourced.